My 2014.

In typical WJT fashion, this post is a few days late. But honestly guys, did you really expect me to upload a blog on New Years Eve or on any day that’s relevant to the actual post? Oh you silly folks!

Anyway I’ve had a more eventful New Year’s this year. Not based on what I did on the actual day but the fact that I was back in Dubai. I’ve spent the past 5 months in Kolar, India. So it was both ridiculous and impossible to upload on the last few days of being back home.
Now to get to the point. I want to recount my year to you guys. Purely for documenting it for myself but maybe some of you would enjoy reading it.

The year began spectacularly because my friends and I camped out in the glorious December weather for over 10 hours in Downtown Dubai to watch the record-breaking Dubai NYE fireworks display. It was incredible. We were cramped into a tiny place. Sitting on the hard, cold tile. Quickly running out of ways to entertain ourselves! I mean, ten hours is a very long time. But when the clock struck twelve, every hardship was forgotten. We screamed till our voices were hoarse and were utterly mesmerized by the fireworks.
Dubai Fireworks
But right after that it was back to the grind of school. Only two more months till I graduate and finals were on me with a vengeance. I struggled and somehow crawled across the finish line.
Fast forward to March 2014, after both mine and my brothers finals were over, we packed our bags and headed to India. We were supposed to take a small trip to a hill station, scout some colleges, that kind of thing. But every single plan changed when we arrived. My two uncles who we had come to see were in critical condition. My heart shattered into a million pieces when we went to visit them at the hospitals. They were unrecognizable. Every essence of who they were had seeped out. The tears wouldn’t stop flowing.It was just a countdown at this point. We were reduced to simply wait for them to leave this earthly torture and go to rest in their heavenly home.
On April 1st and 2nd, it happened.
After the funerals we had to do the unthinkable task of returning to everyday life. We still needed to find a college, and my parents return flight date was soon approaching. Long story short we found a college, Sri Devaraj Urs Medical College in Kolar, Karnataka. More on this later, as I’m trying to maintain a timeline type article.
My parents flew back and I stayed behind for another few months. I spent some time with my grieving aunt and grandmother and those were some of the best days of that year. Their capacity to love and care for me even when they are beyond themselves with sadness was awe-inspiring. Nothing eventful happened for those few months. Easter was a quiet affair spent with family. I got my final year results which were not what I expected and threw me off a little.
I flew back home to Dubai in June. I spend the majority of my time being a lazy couch potato. Friends marathons interspersed with meeting and friends, spending time with family and shopping for college.
I also had a burst of fitness motivation. Which didn’t accomplish much but I figured I should mention it.
Those days flew by before I knew it. Soon it was time for all of to fly back to India. We arrived at Bengaluru airport on the 18th of August. I had to be in school on the first of September. We took a family trip to Coorg. A hill station with fabulous weather. We had many adventures and it was lovely because it was big old group of people – my parents, brother, paternal aunt and grandma, maternal grandparents, my moms brother, his wife (my bff) and their adorable two year old. One particularly interesting moment was when I chanced upon my first snake and promptly had a panic attack. (Wanna know more quirky facts about me? I’ve got you covered.)
My dad flew back on the 30th and so it was my mom, me and my maternal grandparents who made our way to SDUMC for orientation. When my mom left on the third I had never felt quite so alone. I always fancied myself the most independent of souls and thought I would handle this college thing no problem.
The next three months were both brilliant and uh… not so much. I was lucky to immediately find friends who I connected with, a stellar dorm, experienced teachers and extended family less than a stones throw away. The first couple months flew by in a blur of college fests, extracurricular activities and discovering subjects I had never studied before. Late October and early November were probably the most trying times. Homesickness would be a punch in the gut. I was deathly afraid of my first exams coming up and  true friends turned out to be far from it. But December came to my rescue. After three weeks of exams and practicals , I got to go home. But before Christmas came, we had our own celebration on campus. We organized gifts for all the patients of our hospital and sand carols at each ward. It was the most fulfilling Christmas I’ve had.

I could have kissed the concrete pavements of Dubai when I landed on Christmas Eve. The next few days were magical. Christmas was celebrated at church and with homemade biriyani. I met up with my best friends and I never realized how much I missed them. New Years was a quiet affair. Just like I wanted it to be.
And here we are today, I’m back in India and tomorrow I’ll be back in class. Life moving smoothly into 2015.

Some might say 2014 was a pretty eventful year for me and I wouldn’t disagree. But more than that 2014 is when I learned more deeply about myself and my relations. I have a deeper sense of self. I am thankful for everyday because I’ve experienced the harsh pain of loss. I have felt a wonderful sense of religious community thanks to the church I go to. I realized the value of family and am grateful for the friendships I have been blessed with. So as I say goodbye to 2014, I will praise The Lord for helping me cruise through it with minimal harm and maximum blessings.

To 2015 I say, bring it on.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s